FAQs For Fencing & Gazebos


Is planning permission required to erect a fence and how high can the fence be? 

No, as long as it is not over 2m tall, or 1m if it is adjacent to a highway / street. If you are planning to include any additional items at the top of the fence i.e. trellis, wire or brackets to carry a climbing shrub these should be included in the 2m limit of the overall height. However, there are no planning restrictions on growing a thorny plant along the top of a 2m fence, providing there are no support structures in place. 

What size fence posts do I need?

We recommend using as thick a post as possible to hang the fencing. Either a 3”x 3” or a 4” x 3” post is suitable for a 3 to 4 ft high fence. 5ft and 6ft high fencing requires a 4” x 4” post, especially if it is a windy site. 

How far do the posts need to go into the ground?

The length of the post depends on how windy the site is and what type of ground the posts are going in; however as a general rule, each post should be set into the ground by at least 2ft 6in. Also allow for the post to be 2” taller than the panel to give room for the post cap.

Do I need to treat the fencing?

Larch is naturally quite a pink timber and will fade to grey over time.  We supply our panels untreated but can pressure treat them with tanalith E if you prefer (this will give the timber a greenish hue which will turn grey over time and does not require regular maintenance).

Larch is the most durable of the softwoods and we are proud of the fact that all of the larch we use in our fencing comes from local woodlands within a 25 mile radius of us.

As with all our timber, we recommend a regular maintenance programme, preferably every 6 months.  A clear preservative with a UV filter can be applied if you would like to maintain the natural colour of the larch.


How do you protect wooden planters?

We recommend that you treat the exterior of the planter each spring with an oil based wood preserver or stain to protect it from the harsh weather.

If you wish to paint your planter, the timber must be completely dry before painting and a micro porous paint should be used to allow the surface to breath otherwise water can be trapped in the timber and the planter may rot from the inside out.

How should I plant them out?

We recommend that you fit a permeable membrane at the base of the planter, fill the bottom with perlite, add a second permeable membrane and then fill the remainder of the planter with soil.



How do I secure the building?

The building is heavy so will be unlikely to move.  However we recommend the use of twist in ground anchors to secure the building further.

Can the canvas be kept on all year?

The canvas roof comes with a 10 year guarantee so it can be left out; however we would recommend that it is taken down at the end of the summer when it is dry and stored over the winter.

How many people need to install the building?

Due to the weight of the timbers, especially if oak, we would recommend a minimum of 3 people are needed to erect the building.

Is my building ok to stand on the grass?

Yes it can stand on grass; however the moisture from the ground will start to seep into the legs.  We therefore recommend standing them on a hard surface, free draining surface.

Is planning permission needed for the gazebos?

If your home is not listed:

Garden buildings do not require planning permission and are viewed as permitted development as long as the following criteria are met:

  • The building is to be placed less than 2.0m from the boundary of the property with a maximum overall height of no more than 2.5m from existing ground level
  • The building is to be placed more than 2.0m from the boundary of the property and the building has a maximum eave height of 2.5m.
  • Garden buildings must not cover more than half the area of land around the house.

If your home is listed:

  • any garden building or outbuilding that is to be placed within the curtilage of a listed property will require planning permission.

If your home is on designated land:

  • you will require planning permission
  • the maximum area to be covered by garden buildings that are positioned more than 20m from any wall of the house is limited to 10m2 for any properties in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or National Parks
  • if you are in a conservation area, you cannot have a garden building to the side of your house without planning permission.